Downtown Clearwater will celebrate the holiday season from Nov. 21 through Dec. 23 with outdoor movies, virtual events, crafting activities, music, family fun, decorations and much more during its third annual Holiday Extravaganza.
Downtown Clearwater will be transformed during the Holiday Extravaganza into a holiday destination with colorful lights, festive decorations, music and activities.
This year’s celebrations will look a little different, as the city of Clearwater will follow new requirements and policies due to the COVID-19 pandemic, including, but not limited to, requiring event attendees to wear masks and adhere to social distancing. Events bringing holiday cheer downtown will be held as federal, state, and local regulations permit. See each event for specific requirements.
“Our hope is the downtown holiday activities will provide a safe and engaging environment to celebrate our winter traditions as we reach the end of a challenging year,” said Amanda Thompson, director of the city of Clearwater’s Community Redevelopment Agency. “The CRA is providing live music, beautiful lights and family friendly activities that make Clearwater uniquely bright and beautiful this holiday season. We look forward to gathering with you safely in downtown to celebrate the season.”
The Holiday Extravaganza events schedule:
- Nov. 21, 28 and Dec. 5, 12, 19 at 6 p.m.: Clearwater Jazz Holiday presents “Wanderlust,” an outdoor music event series at Station Square Park, 612 Cleveland St. Tickets are available for purchase at ClearwaterJazz.com, attendance will be limited.
- Nov. 28 – Dec. 23: Flock a Yard takes over downtown’s public spaces with a fun, Instagram-worthy photo opportunity to get our city’s residents and visitors in the holiday spirit. Come out to see flamingos, penguins, and more. Share your photos on social media using #hereforthecheer! Find the map of the twelve dates and locations throughout downtown here.
- Nov. 28 at 6 p.m.: Outdoor holiday movie night with a screening of “The Grinch” at 301 Pierce St. On-site parking and concessions will be available. Free event, but registration is required and attendance will be limited: https://downtownclearwater.com/event/outdoor-movie-night-the-grinch/
- Dec. 5 and 12, 3 p.m.: Join the Clearwater Arts Alliance’s Public Art walk through Downtown Clearwater. See unique works of art, from sculptures to murals during the event. Gather at the Clearwater Main Library, 100 N Osceola Ave. Free event. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve space.
- Dec. 5 at 6 p.m.: Outdoor holiday movie night with a screening of “Abominable” at 301 Pierce St. On-site parking and concessions will be available. Free event, but registration is required and attendance will be limited: https://downtownclearwater.com/event/outdoor-movie-night-abominable/
- Dec. 11 at 6 p.m.: The CRA and Clearwater Main Library are partnering this holiday season to bring you virtual arts and crafts sessions. Join us for a virtual watercolor holiday card making class. Art class supplies will be provided to participants. Registration is required: https://myclearwaterlibrary.librarymarket.com/events/watercolor-holiday-cards-zoom-cra-partnered-program
- Dec. 12 at 6 p.m.: Outdoor holiday movie night with a screening of “Lion King” at 301 Pierce St. On-site parking and concessions will be available. Free event, but registration is required and attendance will be limited: https://downtownclearwater.com/event/outdoor-movie-night-lion-king/
- Dec. 19 at 5 p.m.: A celebration of Children’s Day/El Día Del Niño and an outdoor holiday movie night screening of “The Santa Clause” at 301 Pierce St. At 5 p.m., enjoy dance performances by Grupo Mahetzi and Nina Mariachi, as well as free children’s bicycle giveaways, followed by the movie at 6:30 p.m. On-site parking and concessions will be available. Free event, but registration is required and attendance will be limited: https://downtownclearwater.com/event/outdoor-movie-night-the-santa-clause/
Park for free all day on weekends and after 6 p.m. on weekdays at city parking garages and on-street parking. For parking information, visit myclearwater.com/parking or call (727) 562-4704 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. For the full calendar of events and more information visit: https://downtownclearwater.com/holiday-extravaganza/
The Holiday Extravaganza is sponsored by the city of Clearwater’s Community Redevelopment Agency, and in part by the Downtown Development Board. The City of Clearwater’s Community Redevelopment Agency aims to promote Downtown Clearwater’s ongoing neighborhood revitalization through programs and initiatives that strengthen and stimulate our local economy and community. For more information, visit downtownclearwater.com
Feature photo courtesy of Sean Wells on UnSplash